Medical Standards Management Element
An element within the Base Operational Medicine Clinic, the Medical Standards Management Element (MSME) is responsible for processing medical clearances for retraining, PCS clearance for active duty personnel, special duties, profiles, such as 469 or 422, security clearances and PME 422s.
MSME is also responsible for the coordination of the Separations History Physical Exam program, as well as the Airman Medical Readiness Optimization Board (AMRO Board, formerly called the DAWG), and the Medical Evaluation Board process.
Members will initiate the Medical Clearance Review by logging onto the My Individual Medical Readiness site at https://asimsimr.health.mil/. Air Force Members will request a Medical Clearance Review for the following actions:
- Developmental Special Duty
- Initial Flying Class physicals
- Overseas PCS*
- Palace Chase/Palace Front
- PME attendance requiring an AF Form 422
- Only CONUS PCS that require an AF Form 422
*Appointment with your PCM is required for the following locations: Greenland, Guam, Japan, Korea, Turkey, and Portugal.
Separation and Retirement Physical Examination (SHPE)
The SHPE is a single separation examination the Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) use to capture your complete medical history.
Who needs a Separation History and Physical Exam
- Service Members on Active Duty (AD) for 180 days or more of continuous service
- Reserve Component (RC) on AD orders for 180 days or more of continuous service
- RC on AD orders for 31 days or more in support of a contingency operation
Greater than 180 days prior to separation/retirement:
- Request a copy of your medical records
- If you are planning to file a claim with the VA, it cannot be submitted more than 180 days prior to your date of separation
180-90 days prior to separation/retirement:
Less than 90 days prior to separation/retirement:
Steps to completing your SHPE at the MTF:
- Complete DD Form 2807-1: Report of Medical History through your MyIMR
- Complete audiogram (if indicated on the My IMR dashboard)
- Complete any other Individual Medical Readiness (IMR) requirements not currently green
- Schedule/Complete Occupational Health exams, as applicable (AD ONLY)
- Complete SHPE appointments (physical exam scheduled by SHPE Nurse)
- BOMC signs off Separation Memo and Virtual Out-Processing
If Separating/Retiring as a result of an Medical Evaluation Board (MEB), the Disability Evaluation System (DES) examination meets the SHPE requirement. Please email the SHPE org box to request vMPF sign off.
InTransition is a free, voluntary program that provides mental health care support to service members during times of transition. For more information go to: inTransition
Medical Evaluation Board (MEB)
The Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) is a process designed to determine whether a Service member’s long-term medical condition enables him/her to continue to meet medical retention standards, in accordance with military service regulations. It also provides an opportunity for military physicians to clearly document all care and treatments received prior to MEB referral and any duty limitations their condition may cause.
Physical Evaluation Board Liaison Officers (PEBLO) assist active duty military members through the Physical Evaluation Board process. Other services provided by the MEB Office include: Review-In-Lieu-Of MEB, Temporary Disability Retirement List, Assignment / Deployment Waiver Processing.
Learn more about the Integrated Disability Evaluation System | Health.mil